Green Printing Policy
We launched our website with the sole intention of providing affordable and certified green printing solutions. We care passionately about the environment and are one of a handful of printing companies in the UK to have achieved both ISO14001 and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)Certification.
"Fall is my favourite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change colour and fall from the trees"
FSC Approved Printing Company
FSC Approved Printing Company Certification, audited by the Soil Association, is our most recent environmental award and acknowledges that we have been audited and are deemed competent to be part of the FSC Chain of Custody Process.
This allows us to print on FSC Certified Papers and provide you with a guaranteed FSC product that has been tracked from its point of origin to the point of it being printed and dispatched.
Only FSC Approved Printers with the FSC Chain of Custody Certification may print the FSC Logo - known as a claim - onto your order when using FSC Certified Paper or FSC Recycled Paper.
We are also ISO14001 certified. This international standard specifies the actual requirements for an effective Environmental Management System. It applies to those environmental aspects over which the organisation has control and can be expected to have an influence.
This simply means that we are one of a small percentage of printers in the UK that has put its money where its mouth is and is certified as doing its very best for the environment and not just paying lip service or talking about it!
ALP Green Printing Policy Statement:-
This is our policy in detail which we are always striving to enhance and expand:
- All paper, board and packaging used meets our stringent environmental specifications and as a minimum these materials are ECF or TCF - Elementally or Totally Chlorine Free - which is the kindest way to bleach the pulp.
- We actively encourage and promote the use of FSC Certified Paper, 100% Recycled Paper or paper containing an element of recycled fibre.
- Our website products are all printed on FSC Papers or 100% Recycled Paper.
Reduce or Avoid the use of Chemicals
- We use an inert water based protective coating sealant on many of our products which is an eco-friendly alternative to polymer based coatings, "litho seal" and plastic laminates.
- We run IPA - isopropyl alcohol - free on our printing presses, as opposed to the industry average of 8%.
- Our inks are vegetable oil based - specifically linseed oil - as opposed to mineral oil.
- The removal of IPA alcohol and use of vegetable ink has virtually eliminated our emissions of VOC's - Volatile Organic Compounds - into the atmosphere. These VOC's are a major source of ozone pollution and are a potential a health hazard to our staff.
- We promote full colour printing which uses significantly less chemicals, solvents and paper in job setup and press cleaning than traditional one or two colour printing.
- We offer quality Digital Print solutions specifically for short-runs.
Reduce and Recycle Waste
- We have reduced our unavoidable production waste of paper and chemicals by up to 85% and will continue to seek ways to further reduce such waste.
- We segregate, re-use and recycle all of the paper waste produced in the course of printing.
- Waste paper and used aluminium printing plates are collected for recycling, as are all of our spent chemicals.
- We invested in the latest production equipment which is more efficient and less wasteful of materials in the first place.
- We are fully compliant with the Hazardous Waste Act 2005 and waste is segregated and collected for recycling by licensed contractors.
- We are assessed anually by independent auditors to ensure we conform legally and continue to improve as a requirement of our ISO14001 certification.
- Our Ryobi 755 printing presses consume 50% less electricity than popular competing machines - to put this into perspective this equates to a monetary saving of over £5.00 per hour!
- Equipment is chosen to be more efficient - faster setup and running speeds ensure more output per Kw of electricity used.
- This is another area where A Local Printer has taken positive steps. Please read our article on Greening your Office for more information.
Removing Cost Barriers
- We encourage the use of batch printed products such as our Flyers Printing service, which reduce production waste by up to 95% whilst delivering massive cost savings to our customers.
- We continue to remove the cost barriers that previously discouraged customers from adopting the use of environmentally friendly green printing.
- Our buying power enables us to purchase eco-friendly paper and materials at a lower cost than many printers pay for conventional alternatives.
- Investment in the latest equipment enables alocalprinter.com to remain highly competitive.
- Online ordering reduces the cost of sale - savings which are passed onto our customers.
Removing Quality Barriers
- We have eliminated the quality barriers that previously discouraged customers from adopting the use of recycled paper and eco friendly materials.
- The vegetable oil based inks used on our printing presses deliver an increase in print quality over conventional mineral oil based inks.
- Investment in the latest and most efficient equipment delivers a higher quality of printed product than the industry average.
- We assist our customers in making the best choice if they require an alternative to our standard products but still want their print to be as green as possible.
- Environmental issues remain at the forefront of our decision making - we are committed to the environment and do our very best at all times to deliver truly eco-friendly green printing services.
- Our Environmental Websites page lists sites for additional reading on these important green issues.